We are in search of a dedicated Assistant Cheese Maker at Cricket Creek Farm to work closely with the Head Cheese Maker and creamery team producing our award-winning cheeses.
Cricket Creek Farm is a small grass-based dairy farm located in Western Massachusetts. We make seven cheeses from the milk of our herd of Brown Swiss, Jersey, and Milking Devon-cross cows. We bottle raw milk which we sell from our small self-serve farm store, along with our own grass-fed beef and whey-fed pork, our cheeses and a variety of other local and regional products.
The ideal candidate would have experience in the maintenance and sanitation of a creamery, and making a variety of hard and soft cheeses on any scale. Work involves all aspects of running our farmstead creamery.
Inexperienced applicants are encouraged to sign on initially as creamery apprentices, with the objective of fulfilling the Assistant Cheese Maker role. If you are interested in working in cheese but do not have experience, this would be a good way to get into the industry.
- Assist in production and care of all cheeses in our current repertoire
- Closely adhere to maintenance and sanitation protocols
- Aid in the education, training, and support of the creamery apprentices
- Work alongside our Head Cheese Maker to troubleshoot recipes or any inconsistencies with product, help apprentices refine their practices
- Maintain all required records, inventories, recipes, and data collected
- Bring positive energy and enthusiasm to work. We expect the person in this position to always be on time, stick to a schedule, and help keep apprentices stay on track.
Desired Qualifications Include:
- 1-2 years of cheese making experience
- Very much in love with cheese
- Excitement for working with a small and growing company
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience.
Complimentary cheese and milk and a 20% discount all farm store items, including our pasture-raised beef and rose veal, and whey-fed pork.
We encourage all employees to explore the natural beauty and rich culture of the area. Williamstown itself houses its own independent movie theater, the Clark Art Institute, the well-respected Williamstown Theater Festival and several great restaurants. In nearby idyllic towns you’ll find numerous entertainment venues including Tanglewood, Barrington Stage Company and one of the country’s largest contemporary art centers, Mass MoCA. The area is surrounded by acres of preserved land and miles of hiking trails on the state’s highest peak, Mount Greylock. Williamstown is only a 3 hour drive from Boston and 3 ½ from New York City!
If this sounds like the right position for you, please send your resume and cover letter to Anna Halpin-Healy at email@example.com – we look forward to hearing from you!