Help shape the future of a sustainable dairy farm and creamery!
Cricket Creek Farm is seeking an experienced cheese maker to lead our creamery team in all aspects of production of our 7 different award-winning, artisanal, farmstead cheeses. Our portfolio includes pasteurized and raw milk cheeses of several different styles, and is distributed throughout the Northeast.
Located in the beautiful Berkshire foothills of Western Massachusetts, our farm milks between 30-40 grass-fed cows throughout the year. Our mixed herd (primarily Jersey and Brown Swiss) is rotationally grazed on 200 acres of pasture during the summer, and fed local hay in the winter. We also raise a few grass-fed beef cattle and whey-fed pigs. The health and welfare of our animals, as well as of the land, are of primary importance to us.
Every year we host a small group of farm and creamery apprentices who spend 12 months living and working with us, and learning the skills required to succeed in dairy farming and cheesemaking.
Our work environment is designed to encourage clear, honest, open and productive communication, and to ensure a comfortable atmosphere for all employees and visitors.
- Work with existing staff in a collaborative team environment, providing leadership and structure in the creamery.
- Lead the production of all the cheeses in our current repertoire.
- Train apprentices in all facets of cheesemaking and affinage.
- Follow and direct others in following maintenance and sanitation protocols.
- Troubleshoot inconsistencies with the products as needed.
- Maintain all required records, inventories, recipes and data.
- Bring an upbeat and positive attitude, and cultivate that attitude in others. We expect the person in this role to always show up, set a good example, help keep apprentices on track, and bring positive energy and enthusiasm to work every day.
- At least 2 years of professional cheese making experience, and a love for the science and craft of cheesemaking.
- Some management experience.
- Unshakeable commitment to food safety.
- Ability to remain calm and flexible in a fast-paced and evolving work environment.
Commitment: We are looking for at least a 2-year commitment, but ideally seeking a candidate who is interested in a long-term position.
Compensation: We provide a salary, housing, and some farm-raised food.
How to apply: Send a current resume, cover letter, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will contact you to arrange a phone interview and possibly a visit. We highly encourage a visit from any serious applicant: we have space to house a visitor overnight and for 2-3 days in the creamery. Working and spending some time together will help us determine whether you will be a good fit for the farm, and will help give you a better sense of us.