Join our team of thoughtful, talented individuals who are dedicated to the production of good food, on our evolving, mission-based dairy farm in a beautiful Berkshires town. This is a unique opportunity for a driven and hardworking individual to become intimately involved with all aspects of the farm organism, working closely with the Farm Manager and Head Cheesemaker. A successful candidate is a highly organized natural leader who cares deeply about small farm viability, and is excited to bring creativity to communicating the message of the important work we do in producing high-quality artisanal cheese. This position requires you to consistently maintain focus on the farm vision while managing the daily details of running a small business. The Manager of Operations has the privilege of being responsible for communicating the farm mission and vision to the public, our customers, and our staff. If you identify yourself as efficient, responsive, flexible, and calm under pressure; and a problem solver, a quick thinker, and an exceptional community builder who can inspire others; then this position might be right for you. An ideal candidate has experience in marketing and sales (preferably in the cheese or food business), a strong passion for food and agriculture, a background in human resources, and enjoys working in a small team.
Requirements: Excellent prioritization, organizational, and social skills, solid oral and written communication, and comfort reaching out to customers in person and over the phone are all required. Must be able to give and receive feedback within our intimate work environment. As an ambassador of the company, constant attention to brand perception is essential, as is meticulous consideration of detail, punctuality, focus, a desire to motivate others, and the ability to share the joys and challenges of sustainable agriculture with our community. Some travel within the Northeast is expected.
ServSafe, Allergen Training, and HACCP and/or PCQI certification is preferred. Event planning experience is a bonus.
Sales, Marketing and Communications
- Wholesale: Support all wholesale customers including retailers, restaurants, and distributors. Bring in new customers. Perform store visits and demos. Manage order fulfillment. Ensure customer satisfaction.
- Farmers Markets and Events: Evaluate and apply for farmers markets and sales event opportunities. Work at markets and events as needed. Train and schedule staff.
- Farm Store: Handle inventory and merchandising.
- General Marketing and Communications: Promote all of the above enterprises, and the farm in general, through social media outlets, email, the farm website, and other media. Respond to all inquiries and requests. Represent the farm at community events and within professional and community organizations.
- Quality and Food Safety Control: Evaluate and give actionable feedback on product quality. Ensure adherence to HACCP and Food Safety Plan. Maintain creamery records.
- Inventory, Allocation and Production Planning: Track inventory, develop sales projections, strategically allocate product to wholesale customers, and guide cheese production schedule.
- Human Resources: Hire apprentices, keeping positions current on the farm website and on job posting sites, handling all new employee paperwork, creating work schedules, and adopting schedules to accommodate days off. As the manager of a dedicated, hardworking team, interpersonal skills are needed to support and encourage job satisfaction with employees and volunteers. Also responsible for employee and apprentice reviews, giving positive and constructive feedback.
- General Operations: Order ingredients, supplies and equipment. Implement maintenance schedule and manage maintenance contractors. Run weekly meetings. Collaborate with Head Cheesemaker to make creamery operations as productive and efficient as possible.
- The farm also operates as a wedding and event venue for a limited number of events each year. You will meet with prospective wedding and event clients, maintain marketing materials, and serve as an organizational resource for clients throughout the event planning process.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.