This is an important role with responsibilities in both internal and external facing capacities. This position is responsible for fostering a culture and commitment to efficiency & rigorous food safety precautions within the creamery. With a portion of time each day spent working alongside the creamery staff, this position helps the team determine the priorities for the day and supports them in effective time management to accomplish that day’s goals. Working in tandem with our Manager for Events, Marketing, and Compliance, this position is responsible for creamery staff adherence to food safety and compliance protocol.
The customer-facing portion of this role involves managing our wholesale outlets and communicating with our distributors and wholesale customers. Working in partnership with our Senior Farm Manager for Business Operations and our Wholesale Coordinator to manage our cheese inventory and determine which batches should be sent to which outlets. This role also includes the important responsibility of doing outreach to potential, current, and past wholesale customers, exploring new wholesale and distribution opportunities, and overall helping to bring our cheese to more kitchens (home & professional!) throughout the Northeast.
– Lead daily meetings with the creamery in order to manage workflow and priorities for our Creamery & Production Assistants
– Through observing techniques and practices of all creamery work, identify opportunities for improving efficiency, food safety, and workplace safety for employees
– Oversee Creamery & Production Assistants and ensure that all documentation and elements of food safety compliance are adhered to
– Correspond with our distributors and wholesale customers; receive wholesale purchase orders & communicate with our Wholesale Coordinator who packs and delivers wholesale orders
– Communicate with potential wholesale customers; coordinate with our distributors on sending samples to current and potential customers; explore opportunities for introducing our products to new customers and communities
-Work with our Senior Farm Manager for Business Operations to explore and secure new distribution opportunities
– Strong critical thinking skills
– Strong communication skills (both verbal and written); the ability to communicate with both empathy and directness
– Staff management experience & skill
– An understanding of food safety & the importance of compliance with food safety standards and documentation
– Eagerness to share our products with the world — working internally to make sure we are functioning smoothly and producing the highest quality products and externally to increase our wholesale reach & revenue
– A can-do attitude with the ability to assess situations quickly and with good judgment
– Strong problem solving skills
– Curiosity and eagerness to learn more and improve systems
– Ability to lift up to 40lbs, to work on one’s feet for long periods, and to work with one’s hands while talking
– Reliable transportation to/from the farm
This is an in-person role at our farm with a Monday-Friday schedule 8am-4:30pm
Compensation is dependent upon experience ($16.50/hr and up) + complimentary farm fresh raw milk and cheese. You also receive a 20% discount on our pasture raised beef and rose veal, and our whey-fed pork, as well as all products in our farm store. Staff also have complimentary access to a “seconds” section of the meat freezer, where meat with broken vacuum seals or freezer burn is stored, as well as access to ordering groceries at cost. These additional food benefits can add up to savings equivalent to a $1-2/hr increase in pay.
Cricket Creek Farm is a small, grass-based cow dairy nestled in the Berkshire hills of Williamstown, MA. We produce raw milk, grass-fed beef & veal and whey-fed pork, in addition to 7 different styles of artisanal farmstead cheeses. We milk 35-40 cows at a time and care for about 80 animals in total. Our Mission is to produce nourishing food that honors our animals, respects the land, and feeds our community, and to exemplify a sustainable model for small-farm viability. We sell our cheese, raw milk, beef, veal, and pork in our farm store, alongside a wide range of local products. We also sell our cheese at a number of farmers markets we attend throughout the area.
To apply, please email Anna at email@example.com with your resume and a bit about your interest in this role. Highlight any previous experience in food production and service.