Join our team and support our production operations! This position is responsible for fostering a culture and commitment to efficiency & rigorous food safety precautions within our small creamery production team. With a portion of time spent working in a production capacity alongside the creamery staff, this position helps the team determine the priorities for the day and supports them in effective time management to accomplish that day’s goals. Working in tandem with our Manager for Events, Marketing, and Compliance, this position is responsible for creamery staff adherence to food safety and compliance protocol.
– Lead daily meetings with the creamery in order to manage workflow and priorities for our Creamery & Production Assistants
– Through observing techniques and practices of all creamery work, identify opportunities for improving efficiency, food safety, and workplace safety for employees
– Oversee Creamery & Production Assistants and ensure that all Standard Operating Procedures and Good Manufacturing Practices are followed, documenting correction, retraining and escalating issues as necessary.
– Work with Head Cheesemaker and Creamery & Production Assistants to ensure the completion of required tasks and proper documentation in accordance with the Food Safety Plan
– Perform daily, weekly, and monthly inspections of the creamery and required documentation, escalating issues to the Compliance Manager
– Foster a culture and commitment to efficiency & rigorous food safety precautions within the creamery staff
– Participate in any and all creamery work (including cheese makes, affinage, cleaning, milk fill, cheese packing, etc.) as and when necessary
– Partner with the Head Cheesemaker to train new employees
– Host visitors and volunteers, ensure they follow all policies and protocols
– Participate in food safety team meetings
– Manage creamery staff schedule
– Complete product sampling & environmental swabbing as part of our testing protocol; clear product for sale upon receipt of lab results
– Strong critical thinking skills
– Strong communication skills (both verbal and written); the ability to communicate with both empathy and directness
– Staff management experience & skill
– Ability to work with a sense of urgency & to effectively manage others in doing so
– An understanding of food safety & the importance of compliance with food safety standards and documentation
– Eagerness to work in a small, family-owned business & in local agriculture
– A can-do attitude with the ability to quickly and with good judgment assess situations
– Strong problem solving skills
– Curiosity and eagerness to learn more and improve systems
– Ability to lift up to 40lbs, to work on one’s feet for long periods, and to work with one’s hands while talking
– Timeliness and reliability
– Reliable transportation to/from the farm
This is an in-person role at our farm with a Monday-Friday schedule 8am-4:30pm; occasional weekend support may be needed in the event of staff illness or special projects.
Pay range is $16.50-$19 per hour, commensurate with experience. Housing is available as a part of a compensation package. Less experienced applicants will have the opportunity to grow in the role and achieve pay rate increases. Staff receive complimentary farm fresh raw milk and cheese, as well as a 20% discount on our pasture raised beef and rose veal, and our whey-fed pork, and on all products in our farm store. Staff have complimentary access to a “seconds” section of the meat freezer, where meat with broken vacuum seals or freezer burn is stored, as well as access to ordering groceries at cost. These additional food benefits can add up to savings equivalent to a $1-2/hr increase in pay.
Cricket Creek Farm is a small, grass-based cow dairy nestled in the Berkshire hills of Williamstown, MA. We produce raw milk, grass-fed beef & veal and whey-fed pork, in addition to 7 different styles of artisanal farmstead cheeses. We milk 35-40 cows at a time and care for about 80 animals in total. Our Mission is to produce nourishing food that honors our animals, respects the land, and feeds our community, and to exemplify a sustainable model for small-farm viability. We sell our cheese, raw milk, beef, veal, and pork in our farm store, alongside a wide range of local products. We also sell our cheese at a number of farmers markets we attend throughout the area.
To apply, please email Anna at email@example.com with your resume and a bit about your interest in this role. Highlight any previous experience in production, food service, and management.